Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was in an accident in 2015. I was ticketed for "following…

Customer Question
I was in an...

I was in an accident in 2015. I was ticketed for "following too closely". My driving record was near perfect until then (only one speeding ticket after 20 years). I was in a company vehicle, about to pull out of a parkway on-ramp, after seeing it free and clear, but, the vehicle in front of me pulled out enough that I thought he was going and I rear-ended him. He jumped out of the van in a confrontational manner, then got back in his van. I knew, at that moment, that he was going to sue, as he then got out, held his hand to his back, and took pictures of the vehicles. A man in a vehicle behind me suggested we get off the road safely, and we did. After fire engines and troopers showed up, I told them that I believed that he was moving on to the highway, so I proceeded to move on to the highway, but, in fact, e had stopped, for whatever reason, and I drove into the van. I reported the accident to my company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In 2016, one year later, he sues my company. They told me it was ok; they would take care of it. My company ended up paying just short of what he was asking. Now, 1 and 1/2 years later, I am served with a civil suit that he is suing me for twice that - $15,000. I am distraught. I am a hard-working person with no extravagant means and a mortgage, regretting an unfortunate accident. Is there any recourse for me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I was served, so I think so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

CT

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/20/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Since the accident happened during your work, your company supposed to provide defense for the lawsuit. If the company refuses, you can file a cross complaint against the company to make them a party to the lawsuit. You would tell the Court that the company is ultimately liable because you were at work when the accident happened and you were not reckless. If the Court rules against you, then you may consider filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection if you are eligible to wipe out the debt.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law