Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I want a second opinion on a traffic accident

Customer Question
Second opinion] I want a...
Second opinion] I want a second opinion on a traffic accident.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/20/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. What is your question?

I was in a car accident. The driver and I talked but did not exchange information. What should I do now?
The driver who drove the other car was not the owner, but the driver got the owner on the phone and the owner said he was okay with not calling the police or going through insurance.He said he would go through his insurance company....but I didn't get anything in writing or his number. That is what I am worried about.I am not sure whose fault the accident was, I was turning but then she kept going....The other driver was the french nanny....and couldn't speak english so I spoke to the car's owner on the phone. She also spoke to him in french. He said that he was okay with going through his insurance.I said that I would prefer not to go through mine and he said okay. I let the other drive lead the entire conversation. I said what I preferred but was okay with giving insurance info and calling the police.I'm just worried because no information was exchanged.

I'm sorry, but I am confused. You spoke to this person, but didn't get his name? Do you have his phone number still? Why didn't you exchange information? Do you have the driver's license plat number?

You said the owner was okay not going through insurance, but then say he would go through his insurance company. Do you have insurance? Did you file a claim with your insurance company?

It was really weird and since my car was okay, I didn’t think to get the persons name or license plate number. I haven’t filed a claim with my insurance since there is nothing in my car to fix.

So you weren't hurt and your car wasn't damaged, correct? In that case, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If the other driver does end up filing a claim, you may hear something from his insurance company, but until then there isn't much you can do.

Okay...this happened last week. When would be a good timeframe not to worry about this anymore.
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 4 months ago

Usually, the statute of limitations to file this type of claim is two years. Until then, there is no way to say for sure that nothing will come of it. I wouldn't worry about it, though. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Attorney