Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I hired a lawyer because I have a helper that got hurt in a…

Customer Question
I hired a lawyer because...
I hired a lawyer because I have a helper that got hurt in a traffic accident. I was the driver and did not have workers comp. I retained a lawyer jan /17 that handled a similar case for a someone I know from work. He said to sit back and wait for them to make first move. I agreed. In sept /17 I received a notice that a hearing was held without me being present. I did not get a notice of the hearing held in aug/17. I got a notice to appear in oct/17 and alerted my lawyer. A week or two before hearing in oct?17 he told me to appear and say I talked to a lawyer but not retained one. He gave me 4 dates that he could appear and I told the court. The judge said "we don't work like that here" and told me to appear with a lawyer at a hearing in late nov/17. Now he wants me to go to court next week and say I just retained him and he could not be there. He faxed the court that he could not be there and gave some dates he could be there. the worse part is it really is a losing case. I know what I should do, but I don't want to tell the judge this and he will get in trouble.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/17/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thank you very much for your patience on this. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A client can fire their attorney at any time. If your attorney has been made aware of court dates, and cannot make those court dates over several occasions, I would probably recommend that you find a different attorney. Sometimes, you can hire an "appearance attorney" who can make an appearance at a hearing on your behalf. In my state, I have done this on several occasions and even law firms hire appearance attorneys if they have too many cases that they must attend to and not enough time. Accordingly, if you go to this hearing, you should state that you either have an attorney and have them with you or that you have fired your attorney and that you will be representing yourself in pro per until further notice. If you fire your attorney, you should provide them some written notice. They will have to turn over the papers that they have to you right away as well. What other questions did you have for me?