Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a tag tax bill for a vehicle that was in my name…

Customer Question
I received a tag tax...
I received a tag tax bill for a vehicle that was in my name and my ex wife's name I just contacted her to get this bill and get truck out of my name and address she told me she sold it I will follow up with local tag office in regard to bill but she must have forged my name what can I do
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Although you can file a criminal complaint with the local police or State prosecutor's office for the forgery allegation, they may not take the case. Sometimes, even when a criminal law covers a situation, the police and the prosecutor will decline to handle the case (their option) and instead, refer you to civil court. If that happens, then your remaining option is to file suit in small claims court for half of the money that your ex-wife received for the vehicle and any other funds that you are out due to her actions.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I will be away from my computer for most of the day but will respond as soon as I become available. If you don't need any further information, then if you could respond to this post and let me know that I covered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 19th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer