Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a speeding ticket in 100/70 and was charged with

Customer Question
Hi i got a...

Hi i got a speeding ticket in Virginia 100/70 and was charged with reckless driving. I’m from CT i contactd a Lawyer firm to see if they would take the case for me with out showing up. They said they would but would cost 1250 for them to take it. It seems a little bit too high for a speeding ticket. I just want to know is that the normal price for this kind of ticket.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

The officer said i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing i can think of right now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Speeding is typically a traffic infraction, but in Virginia reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor. It has a maximum possible penalty of a year of jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500. Additionally, a conviction on this charge would give you a criminal record.

That's why the bigger price tag. It's not as simple a case as you thought it was.

Is 1250 a fair price for this in your opinion? And the firm name is***** law firm would you say they are good?Thank you

Sorry for the delay. I took a lunch break.

It is not an unreasonable charge to handle a misdemeanor matter, particularly if he's willing to handle the matter without you having to return to court. You should ask him if he believes he can resolve this in such a way that you won't have a misdemeanor conviction on your record. That would be worth the price, for sure.

As for the law firm, check them out by searching for firms on a site such as www.Martindale.com or www.Avvo.com. Those are lawyer referral services, and many of the firms and lawyers listed there are peer and/or client rated. I have no personal knowledge of the firm.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.