Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I unfortunately got a speeding ticket going 30 miles over…

Customer Question
So I unfortunately got...

So I unfortunately got a speeding ticket going 30 miles over the speed limit on a high way. Speed limit was 70 and I was going at 100. After doing a bit of research in the state of illinois i see this falls under the cateogry of excessive speeding and I have to show up in court. However, i'm confused by the implications of this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Uh I'm a student with in college with a 3.8 GPA

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/15/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

In the state of Illinois, 26 miles or more over the speed limit constitutes a class B Misdemeanor.

That means it's more than just a citation, it's actually a criminal offense.

It's punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or up to a $1500 fine.

You should look into hiring a defense attorney to represent you in this matter, to ensure that any and all motions are filed on your behalf, and that your legal defenses are adequately presented.

If you can't afford a private attorney right now, that's okay as a court appointed public defender will be assigned to you at your first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

However, when i received the ticket, the officer indicated that he was giving me a speeding ticket but notified me that I would still need to show up in court. The ticket itself specified the speed but the ticket also made it seem as this was more of a citation.
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Yes, that was a bit misleading.

Unfortunately Illinois has taken a pretty strong stance against speeding and in the last few years has made some of its speeding laws even stricter.

In fact a conviction on this ticket could also lead to a suspension of your license.

The officer may not have been the most forthcoming, but when you go to court the judge does have a duty to and will clarify that this is also a misdemeanor charge.

Please reference the above information I sent you in regards ***** ***** attorney though.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones