Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

What is yhe amount of the fine for passing a stopped school…

Customer Question
What is yhe amount...

What is yhe amount of the fine for passing a stopped school bus

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/14/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

As I am doing so, keep in mind that a normal part of dealing with complicated legal issues is that you might experience some delays. Please do not opt me out expecting a faster response. This will only result in further delays. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

If you look at the citation, does it include a statute number, the basis of which the citation was issued?

What, exactly, has the officer written on it?

he has written nothing else on the summons the only other number i see on the ticket is 46.2-859
he has written nothing else on the ticket, the only other number i see on the ticket is 46.2=859

Yes, I got your response. I am preparing my answer now. Note that each time you respond, your question goes to the bottom of the list of questions, causing you more delay. Your patience is appreciated.

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: This is a reckless driving offense, Class 1 misdemeanor. That comes along with criminal penalties. The fine can be up to $2500.

Note that there are other potential penalties that can be imposed, including possible jail time of up to 1 year, suspension of your license, and or demerits on your driving record. Note that these are only "potential" penalties. That means the law allows for them, but not necessarily that these will be imposed on you. I just wanted you to be aware, so you aren't surprised.

It would be ideal to seek a less serious, non-criminal penalty under 46.2-844, which would only come with a fine of up to $250. You should talk to your lawyer about how that might be pursued. Ultimately it will depend on the perceived danger to the riders under the circumstances that existed at the time of the event that led to the citation.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Do you see my response, above?

It appears you are viewing this page, but I have no indication if you are able to see my answers. Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!