Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a question about an incident that happened last

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question about an incident that happened last night. I was driving at night in the pouring rain and I went to turn around to check on an animal in the roadway, and this persons property had the perfect gap between a tree and some bushes that look like where a driveway would be but there was a ditch in front of it and it was filled with leaves. So I went to turn around in it and by the time I realized it was a ditch my front tires had already started to slide into it and I tried backing out and couldn't. So the first thing I did was call my parents to let them know what happened and I called a friend for a ride. My friend has a friend with a truck that we were going to ask to pull it out so I didn't have to pay a tow fee. My parents got to whe where I told them the car was and called and said someone had stopped and called 911 because they thought someone was still in the car and that the ambulance was on it's way. And that my dad was going to have it towed back to the house. So in the meantime I thought it was taken care of and didn't think it was a big deal because I literally didn't crash or damage my on car or anyone's property, and no one else was involved, but this morning my mom said I needed to call the officer that took the report and that I was getting charged with leaving the scene of an accident. I did leave, but I didn't consider it an accident since I didn't crash or hit anyone or anything, my front tires just slid in a shallow ditch and I couldn't back out. And even though I left, my parents were on their way to have it towed and were on the scene before any responders showed up, and they sat with the car. I had to wait to speak with the officer charging me, because she works the night shift, but I called this morning and left a message on her voicemail returning her phone callThe officer charging me was ve

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

It was a car and Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I'm just wondering if I legally have to talk to her, because when I spoke with her this evening she said she'll need to talk in person tomorrow with me and kept trying to put words in my mouth. But should I just hire a lawyer and refuse to talk to her because I feel she's trying to incriminate me, or am I legally required to answer her questions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/11/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
It is perfectly legsl to speak with the officer, but not advised. She is trying to make a case to arrest and prosecute you for the charge. There is no reason for you to help her make her case and you have a constitutional right to not answer any questions.
Retain an attorney and let them handle all communication with the police.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer