Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I am a truck driver in Texas. An my truck broke down in a…

Customer Question
I am a truck...

I am a truck driver in Texas. An my truck broke down in a little town in Tx call Glassrock Tx. I put out my flares the way the law say. So the sheriff went an towed my truck to the in pound yard.They first said we didn't have any safety flags out.but we showed them we did then they said it is their county ordinances. i would like too know if i have any recourse to get my 1200.40 dollars back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Texas 2005 Volvo Semi

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing was file. They just towed the truck and charge me the money. the truck was there about 10 hours. Because i had to come back too town an buy the parts i need.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just find out if such a city ordinances is own the books in that county. Glassock County Garden City Tx. Where they just can town a truck because it broke down. i have pictures of where i was park and safety flairs.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 4 days by:
11/14/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Blake, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Blake
Blake, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear that this happened to you and I would be happy to assist.

First of all, Garden City is unincorporated which means that it does not have any local city or township ordinances, but is instead controlled by Glassock County law. Glassock County does not seem to have its own local traffic ordinances, either, but Texas State law does have guidance on this situation.

According to Texas law, a vehicle is considered abandoned only if it has been left unattended for more than 48 hours. See: Title 7 of the Texas Transportation Code, Sec. 683.002. ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:
(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;
(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;
(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;
(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;
(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway; or
(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r)

Here is a link to that statute: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.683.htm

Your best chance of getting your money back is to file a lawsuit in civil court at this courthouse: http://www.co.glasscock.tx.us/default.aspx?Glasscock_County/Home

You can find information about filing your own lawsuit here: http://smallclaimscourthouse.com/texas/glasscock-county/

It is always best to hire a local attorney to assist you with filing a legal claim, you could reach out to any of the attorneys listed here - https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=lawyers&find_loc=Glasscock+County%2C+TX Or try a google search on your own for attorneys nearby. Be sure to ask for a free consultation in order to see what they can do for you.

Once again, I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, and I sincerely ***** ***** the best with this situation.

__________________________________

If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the “accept” button now and leave a positive rating so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided you.

If there is any way I can provide better service, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Good Morning, I'm just following up to see if there is any way I can be of further service on this.

If you are satisfied with the answer above, please press the “accept” button now and leave a positive rating so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided you.

Blake
Blake
Blake, Lawyer