Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Dispute ticket for school bus stop on Sidney Blvd. This road…

Customer Question
Dispute ticket for school bus...
Dispute ticket for school bus stop on Sidney Marcus Blvd. This road is a four lane divided highway with a median. I got a ticket in mail with images at the median opening for business intersection traffic.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/7/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this?

I want to dispute the auto ticket via traffic cam that the driver is not required to stop for school bus on the opposite side of a divided highway with a median, even if there are openings for business traffic to cross the media partitions.

Thank you for your reply.

Please read the terms of this service, state law forbids any attorney on this site from representing you and the experts can only provide information to customers to answer their legal questions. Did you have a legal question for us? You are in GA correct?

I want my money back or an answer to my question

Thank you for your reply.
What question? There was no question above to actually answer and if you are upset because I was trying to make sure what you wanted answered before I just answered you to avoid any confusion, I apologize for that.

You made 2 statements above, with no ? and no real question to answer. If you would please ask specific question I would be more than happy to answer you.

Ok. I know what the Georgia law states about school bus stopping, that a "Divided Highway of Four Lanes or More with a Median Separation" only requires traffic following the bus to stop, not the traffic across the median. My question is what is a Divided Highway of Four Lane or More with a Median Separation under the traffic law in Georgia? Because, I got a picture in the mail along with a video of myself and everyone on that road, crossing that point, opposite the school bus direction, not stopping for the school bus. For me, and I can only assume everyone else, its because the road has a grassy concrete divided partition, aka median, running up and down the entire length of this roadway. There are breaks or intersections with turn lanes for traffic to come in and out of the strip malls along both sides. This school bus, is actually hard to see driving down this divided highway across the median with trees and bushes from the "drivers" point of view. Sure it looks different with an areal camera placed at just the right spot. But, as I said, my question is, does this so called violation apply to a road with a median running down it which has 2 lanes and a turn lane on both sides? Reference: http://www.operationstoparm.info/Law.htmlI ask this question because it seems pretty clear to me that I have been sent an automated ticket and falsely accused by twisting this very common sense law into a way to trick people. The law is to prevent children coming out of the school bus from being run over by a car passing along side or in the path of the children as they exit the bus to their homes. This clearly was not the case, the other side of the street where the bus stopped, has apartments, the side of the median street divided has a FedEx business, a Home Depot, a Vision works, and some other shops which are 4 to 6 lanes across the other side of the road, across the median where no traffic is anywhere near the departing school bus assembly.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what the GA code says:

§ 40-6-163. Duty of driver of vehicle meeting or overtaking school bus; reporting of violations; enforcement

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this Code section, the driver of a vehicle meeting or overtaking from either direction any school bus stopped on the highway shall stop before reaching such school bus when there are in operation on the school bus the visual signals as specified in Code Sections 40-8-111 and 40-8-115, and such driver shall not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or the visual signals are no longer actuated.

(b) The driver of a vehicle upon a highway with separate roadways need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus which is on a different roadway, or upon a controlled-access highway when the school bus is stopped in a loading zone which is a part of or adjacent to such highway and where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway..

So under the GA law, the key to the median is that pedestrians cannot reasonably cross it (not that they could not climb a barrier or steel beam railing). You are correct the purpose is to prevent children from being run over as they are crossing the street, so if you can show they could not reasonably cross that median, then you would be found not guilty or have the citation dismissed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.