Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My husband received a speeding ticket in Augusta about a…

Customer Question
My husband received a...

My husband received a speeding ticket in Augusta about a month ago. Not due until December. Is there a way to handle this without incurring points on his license

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
10/30/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. One way to avoid points is to request a trial and successfully defend against the ticket. That typically requires establishing that your husband was not speeding, or that the police officer wasn't able to properly evaluate his speed - due to weather, lighting, angle, obstructions to his view, or similar factors. You'd have to go to Maine for the trial, which unfortunately could cost nearly as much as the ticket. That's not feasible for many people, especially since there are no guarantees that it will work. Under Georgia law, a driver can request a reduction of up to 7 points once every five years. If your husband has other violations on his record, he could use that procedure to reduce the points. The points have to be applied to his license before they can be removed, and that can take some time with out-of-state tickets.https://dds.georgia.gov/points-and-points-reduction If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?