Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

This is regarding to an traffic attorney who sometimes help…

This is regarding to an...
This is regarding to an traffic attorney who sometimes help my father with fighting tickets but alot of looses traffic ticket cases and this attorney is very rude and hostile when she talks to anyone. This attorney just intakes the traffic ticket case from my father from the DMV New York account without his permission.Please show me with a sample letter how I should write a formal letter to a lawyer who I want to fire?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2017
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

There's no right or wrong way to do it. As the client, your father has the right to fire their lawyer at any time they wish. A sample letter might say something like this:

NOTICE OF TERMINATION OF REPRESENTATION

Month, Day, 20XX
Office of [Attorney's Office]
Address
City, State, Zip

To [Attorney Name]

[Mr./Ms.] [Attorney Name] Please accept this letter as formal notice that you are hereby released from any obligation and or contract to litigate on my behalf or to represent me as legal counsel, effective immediately.

Please forward to me a final accounting of fees along with any and all records, transcripts, and documents relating to my case. (You may instead want your case materials to be forwarded to another attorney, if you have one.)

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact me at once.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
City, State, Zip
Phone

Of course your father can modify the letter to suit his needs. Like I said, there's no one way to write the letter, and no one "correct" way.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.

I apologize for replying to you late as I had a family emergency that I needed to take care of.Do I have to put the title of the letter the notice of termination?My father already found another traffic lawyer to handle his traffic ticket case but I have not mailed the letter to fire the other traffic attorney. Is it too late to still mail the letter of termination to the traffic lawyer?But this traffic lawyer did not get my permission from my father and she just took his traffic ticket from the DMV system and decided to take over the traffic ticket on her own without my fathers consent. Is that legal for her to do that?How do I report and make a complaint about this traffic lawyer?

Good evening,

No worried about the late follow-up. I certainly hope everything is okay with you. You don't have to put the title in the letter (or you change it to something different if you prefer). Like I said, there's no right or wrong way to do this letter, your father just needs to express to this attorney that they are not their lawyer.

This lawyer should not have entered a notice of appearance (a notice of record with the court) that she was acting as your father's lawyer without his consent, no. It's not unusual for a person to receive solicitations from lawyers after a traffic citation --the citations are public record and many attorneys pay for services that will give them a printout of daily citations so that they can send out a card offering their assistance - but they should not have told the court that they were your father's lawyer on the case if they did not have his consent.

Typically you can report the attorney to the bar association. If you tell me what state this is in, I can send you a link to where your father would file a complaint, or you can just Google "____________ (state) lawyer complaint" and it should come right up.

If you have any additional questions about this matter, please don't hesitate to reply back to me and I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page as that is the ONLY way experts like myself are credited by the site for our time and assistance. Thanks again!

Thank you, ***** ***** provide you an excellent 5 star rating and review. I appreciate your assistance. I am in the state of NY. Is it legal for this lawyer to intake the traffic ticket without my father's consent?

No. That wouldn't be legal in any state that I'm aware of. The lawyer should not be putting themselves as the attorney of record on a case without a client's consent. A client gets to choose who they wish to represent them when hiring a private attorney.

Information about how to file a complaint about a lawyer in New York can be found here.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
Ok, thank you for your assistance again. Have a great week.

You do the same! It was my pleasure to assist you.

Ok thank you. If I have any more questions in the near future then I will ask you again.

Sounds good.

RobertJDFL, Attorney