Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I street parked my car last night, this morning the car is…

Customer Question
Hi,I street parked my car...
Hi,I street parked my car last night, this morning the car is gone and there obvious marks of a collision with a Honda (the logo is on the floor), What should I do?I m in San Francisco
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
10/3/2017
Traffic Lawyer: legal, Attorney replied 8 months ago
legal
legal, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

here are the relevant penal codes:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=487.&lawCode=PEN

When a car is stolen it is important to contact law enforcement and insurance right away; if the car remains missing the DMV would need to be notified:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/ol/ol247

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

The car wasn't stolen, it got hit while parked by another driver. The car has been towed, I called the police and they don't want/can't release it at the moment.
Should I still go to the police station to file a claim?

Yes, accidents must be reported if there is property damage -please see:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/sr/sr1

That is applicable for damage over $1000

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: