Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was recently involved in an automobile accident, I was hit…

Customer Question
I was recently involved...

I was recently involved in an automobile accident, I was hit from behind while at a red light, the other driver was cited.No one was injured, My wife who was a passenger in the car and I were served with subpoenas to appear in court. The damage was minimal, about $1200.00 to my car. do I need an attorney as far as I know I am not being sued or charged for anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Florida, my car is a 2014 Subaru, not sure of the age of the other car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A highway patrol officer was dispatched to the scene and he cited the other driver as the one who caused the accident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
10/2/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. generally, when you are served with a subpoena you have the option to quash The subpoena if you feel as if it would be an extreme burden for you to appear in court or if you believe that whatever testimony or statements that you have to provide would not lead to a conclusion in the case. in your case, it is possible that because you were involved in the accident that you will have to appear in court. I imagine that the subpoena you received is for the citation at the other driver received. It is likely that the court wants to get your witness testimony to determine whether the other driver is guilty or innocent. would you be able to confirm for me if this is a Criminal Court subpoena?

I don't think it is but I am not sure. It was served by a county sheriff's deputy. Will it say on the document?

Yes, usually it'll say on the document. Could you help me understand whether you're being asked to testify in court?

Not sure I'll check out the answers to these questions. Thanks

Oh it's no problem. I think that if you find that out, I think that you'll be in good shape. Nonetheless, the answer to your question is that you will probably not need an attorney. Just be sure that when you get to court, that you tell the truth in your own words and do not do anything that could prejudice your civil case against the individual. For instance, they could bring up what you said during the criminal trial and use it against you in a civil trial. Did you have any other questions for me today?