Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My son got a ticket for speeding, 26 over the limit, and…

Customer Question
My son got a...

My son got a ticket for speeding, 26 over the limit, and before his court date, he was incarcerated in DOC. I tried to pay the ticket after explaining the circumstances and they told me I could not. He had to see the judge. He tried to writ the case while he was in custody and they denied the writ. Once he was released, because they put a failure to appear warrant against him, we had to pay a $500 bail. He has gone before the judge and the judge told him to get a lawyer because if he pled guilty he was going back to jail. We cant afford an attorney. What do we do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/29/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Under the facts you gave, it sounds like your son needs to file an application for a court appointed attorney. If the court insists on him having a lawyer and he can't afford to hire one then the only possibility is to ask for one to be court appointed.

He would need to contact the clerk of the court and ask them about the process to go through to ask for a lawyer. They usually have a form and affidavit that needs to be filled out.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

What are the laws in reference to time served since he tried to writ the court appearance while he was in custody and they denied it. The max penalty for this violation, which happened before he was incarcerated, is a $500 fine or 6 months in jail

It depends on the exact facts. Normally if he sent in a request for setting and asked the court for a bench warrant to bring him there and told the judge he was ready and available then the time would count as time served. It depends on the exact wording of the request he sent to the court.

Ok thank you.

You're very welcome. I wish your son the best on this.