Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I am an out of state buyer of a vehicle bought at an online…

Customer Question
I am an out...

I am an out of state buyer of a vehicle bought at an online auction in Richmond Virginia.I need to transport the Chevy Tahoe back to Florida and register and title it in Florida. HELP!!!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Not that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a Virginia lawyer ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/27/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can get a temporary permit from Virginia DMV

Standard Trip Permit

A standard trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. These permits are valid for three consecutive days. Motorized vehicles must be properly insured or the owner must pay 1/12 of the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. Non-motorized trailers are NOT required to be insured; however, they should be pulled by a properly insured vehicle. If the vehicle is designed as a property-carrying vehicle, it must be unladen while operating under the authority of the trip permit. The Virginia trip permit is valid only in Virginia. The customer must contact other state(s) if the travel route is outside of Virginia.

Applying For a Standard Trip Permit

If you are the vehicle owner and want to move your unregistered vehicle, you are required to apply for a trip permit. You will need:

• point of origin and point of destination;
  • dates of travel;
  • $5 permit fee;
  • insurance certification or payment of 1/12 of the uninsured motor vehicle fee for motorized vehicles ONLY.

Make sure you have Florida insurance card here.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#temp_permit.asp

Ray, Lawyer