How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27726
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a handwritten ticket. The officer gave me a

This answer was rated:

Second opinion] I received a handwritten ticket. The officer gave me a ticket stating that I was 64mph on 35 mphJA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: Lewisville, TX I am pretty confident I was not at 64mph though I agree that I was speeding what option do I have?JA: Do you need to appear in court?Customer: it says that without admitting guilt I promise to appear in Lewisville municipal court on or before 13th Oct what does that mean?JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: I just would like to add that on my handwritten ticket it says calibration last checked was at 18:55 .


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Most Texas traffic matters are class C misdmeaors. That typically means you'll have to appear in court to resolve the case. Class C misdemeanors can only result in a fine and points on your record. So you don't have to worry about jail. To that extent, you have nothing much to lose if you wanted to fight the case for yourself as there is no risk of incarceration. Still, a conviction would result in a misdemeanor, and it's not much of a defense to say, "Yes, I was speeding but not that much."

For best results, get a traffic lawyer. Courts are inclined to believe police officers and this case is going to come down to your word versus the officer's and his radar machine. Challenging the officer is difficult enough if you've got no legal experience, but challenging the radar machine requires special expertise to do it effectively. Traffic lawyers do these kinds of cases all day, every day and they can frequently work miracles. As lawyers go, traffic lawyers are also relatively inexpensive, since the proceedings don't typically take long and don't involve many different court appearances.

Zoey, JD and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you very much for your reply. I called up court to check with them. The fine was $277 but the ticket would remain on my record. Hiring a lawyer to fight the ticket would be expensive in this case.

You would only have to pay the lawyer once, but if you just plead guilty and your insurance rates increase, you'll be paying that for a long time. It may be long-term cheaper for you to get a lawyer if he can help you avoid a conviction and an increase in your insurance costs. So it's worth at least consulting with one and finding out what he believes he can do for you. Many lawyers offer free or very low cost initial consultations.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks Zoey. I will look into this aspect as well before proceeding further. It was great getting your advise.

Happy to have helped. Good luck, whatever you decide