Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I recieved a traffic citation in Nevada and am not sure if I…

Customer Question
I recieved a traffic citation...
I recieved a traffic citation in Nevada and am not sure if I should pay the ticket.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/21/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 9 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you saying you want to go to trial? What was the traffic ticket for? Do you have a viable defense to the charge?

I am not sure if I want to go to trial. I do not think the ticket is entirely accurate, but I do believe I am at fault for the accident. I have not told anyone that I beleive I am at fault.
However, I am worried about admitting guilt, so I do not want to plead guilty. I believe if I admit guilt, this will strengthen the case for the other driver if she decides to sue me
I do not know if she will sue me, but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. She has a lawyer who is working with my insurance, but I am not sure if I will be sued afterward

What are you charged with and what's wrong with the ticket? Was the other party injured or the car damaged that you're concerned about suit? You would only be sued if your insurance doesn't cover the victim's losses.

I am charged with failure to slow down and take due care to avoid an accident. I was told by the officer and court on the phone that if I pay the ticket, I will not have any points added and it will be like the ticket did not happen. I do not fully agree with the description because I slowed down and believe the collision was almost unavoidable
The collision caused me to hit a car in front of me which hit a car in front of her. The car that I hit's driver went to the ambulance, but I was told by the officer and my insurance that she did not have any serious injuries, but my insurance does not have all the information yet.
The driver hired a lawyer who is working with my insurance. I am not sure if her hiring a lawyer indicates she is more likely to sue me and try to take as much money as she can since both of us have insurance

The problem with traffic matters like this is that the officer is going to say you didn't slow down, and it's going to come down to who the judge is going to find more credible. Typically, you can put your money on that being the cop rather than the defendant. Traffic cases are not easy to win. They bring in lots of money for the county.

I understand your point about liability and that's a real concern. If you're going to fight the traffic case, hire a skilled traffic lawyer to represent you. Sometimes they can work miracles because they know the ins and outs of these kinds of cases. It's your best chance of being able to avoid liability.

I dont' have the money to hire a lawyer and I believe my insurance can cover the person's medical bills and the two cars because I believe I believe my insurance coverage will suffice. However, I was speaking with a lawyer who is also a professor at my school who said that I will most likely be sued because I hit the car from the rear. He said that in these cases, it is very hard to defend my position, so people tend to sue after these types of collisions. He also said that lawyers/ people usually bring up costs such as pain and suffering which are costs that insurances usually don't pay for. Would you agree with his position that I will most likely be sued? Do you think her hiring a lawyer despite both of us having insurance and it being clear my insurance will pay for everything is a bad sign?