Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Can I legally grab stuff from my impounded car, due to an…

Customer Question
Can I legally grab...

Can I legally grab stuff from my impounded car, due to an accident [no collision] totallying the car. I still have stuff in there. I also cannot find the title, but I do not want the car.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

CT. No

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Why won't they let me get my stuff, meanwhile there charging excess amount of money for storage

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Bradley
I am assuming that the insurance company has been notified and that they have totaled the car and are in the process of forwarding you the value of it. If you cannot find the title then you're going to have to order a new title so that you can give it to the impound so that the vehicle can be scrapped period prior to that being done, the company should allow you to go in and remove your final items that are still in the car. I am guessing that the impound lot wants some final decisions as to how the car is going to be disposed of before they let you go into the car to grab the rest of your stuff. That is something that you should be able to work out.