Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I HAVE PARKED IN A HANDICAPPED PARKING AREA FOR THE PAST 6…

Customer Question
I HAVE PARKED IN...

I HAVE PARKED IN A HANDICAPPED PARKING AREA FOR THE PAST 6 YRS AS I AM UNABLE TO WALK WITHOUT STOPPING FOR AIR BECAUSE OF MY COPD. I HAVE A CURRECT DISABLED PERSONS PARKING PERMIT. I HAVE WORKED DOWNTOWN FOR THE LAST 34 YRS AN D AM 71 YRS OLD. TODAY I WAS GIVEN A TICKET FOR OVERTIME-PARKING-LIMITED TIME ZONE. I TOOK THE TICKET AND MY DISABILITY PROOF TO THE MUNICIPAL JUDGE. TRIED TO EXPLAIN I WAS PARKED IN A HANDICAPPED SPACE. WOULD NOT LISTEN AND THREATENED TO GIVE ME A TICKET FOR PARKING IN A HANDICAPPED SPACE. WHAT DO I DO? DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WEST VIRGINIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

YES, IF I WISH TO PLEAD INNOCENT. THIS JUDGE WOULD NOT LISTEN AS I TRIED TO EXPLAIN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I HAVE NEVER HAD A SPEEDING TICKET. I DON'T FEEL I SHOULD BE TREATED AS A DELINQUENT.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/20/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a handicapped parking permit, they cannot stop you from parking in a handicapped zone. However, there are handicapped zones that have time limits and if you do park in one for longer than the limit, even if you are handicapped and have proper placards, they can cite you for the overtime parking even as a handicapped party.

If the judge refused to recognize your handicapped parking tag and you were not in a zone that had time limited parking, then you have a right to appeal this to the superior court.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.