Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a quick traffic ticket question. I received a ticket…

Customer Question
I have a quick...

I have a quick traffic ticket question. I received a ticket in il, and the color is listed wrong on the ticket. If I go to court will they throw it out? Also, if I pay how many tickets do I need to increase my insurance rates.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I received a traffic ticket for not stopping at a stop light. The color of my car is not listed correctly. I am in il, if I go to court will the ticket be thrown out? Also, how many tickets do I need before my insurance rates go up?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Chicago, illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

The ticket says yes, but when I called they said I could just pay online.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/20/2017
Traffic Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What type of ticket is it? That is, speeding, etc... or parking (is it a moving or nonmoving violation)?

It is a ticket for not stopping at a stop light.
Sorry for late response. Had issues with the web site.

My apologies too, as the internet was not working for me. This would be a traffic violation. A traffic violation of any kind can lead to serious penalties, especially when the violations start piling up. If you are charged with failure to obey a stop sign, you may respond with one of three options:

• Pleading guilty, paying a fine of $75, and receiving a conviction that negatively affects your driving record and your insurance premiums; or
  • Pleading guilty, taking a driving class, paying a fine of $175, and receiving a sentence of Court Supervision, which does not have a negative affect on your driving privileges; or
  • It can also be up to 20 points on your license, which is reported and seen by insurance companies.

The answer to your question is that even ONE violation can increase your insurance. If you can do a "deferred adjudication" or some other pretrial diversion program, that would be the best option for you. Otherwise, you might be on the hook for a lot more fees than just the fee for the ticket.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Is there a chance they will throw out the ticket because there is a mistake on the ticket?
Traffic Lawyer: legal, Attorney replied 8 months ago
legal
legal, Attorney

I see you requested a new professional; a few minutes please as I review your question in detail.

There is a mistake on my ticket. The color is,listed wrong. Will the ticket be thrown out. Also, I haven't received another ticket from an officer, but have had red light violations which I needed to pay. I don't know if they will negatively impact my car insurance. So far it has not gone up. Police haven't stopped me in over 10 years.

Unfortunately errors as to the color of the car, incorrect dates, etc, are all considered clerical/scrivener errors and the courts have held that does not go to the merits of the case and thus is not sufficient to void the ticket.

I am sorry I don't have better news but I don't want to get your hopes up. A ticket can be thrown out if the police officer does not appear at the hearing, if there is evidence (witnesses) that the officer erred in judgment, whether there was an obstruction (fallen branch, defective lights, etc) that caused the issue.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legal
legal
legal, Attorney