Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a ticket for driving 91 (laser) in a 75 MPH zone.

I received a ticket...

I received a ticket for driving 91 (laser) in a 75 MPH zone. I-10 west of Phoenix. Clear Conditions - NO OTHER cars. Mile post 103 which is 24 miles west of closest populated city. Is it possible to get the charge lowered to civil with a fine - instead of criminal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was the law AZ ST § 28­
701(B); AZ ST § 28-702.04 Was this written prior to speed being raised to 75? Its eems 16 mph over while wrong, doesn't seem criminal.

9/20/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is possible for you to go to court and plead not guilty and seek a plea deal. The fact of the matter is that the prosecutors generally prefer to make a deal and close a case than go to trial on these cases. The laser operator will have to show up to testify and all of it costs the city money. So, yes you have a good chance to get the speed reduced to 10 over the limit or so and you would have a much better chance at a reduction if you use a local attorney, because they know the prosecutors and know exactly what each prosecutor wants to hear to reduce these charges. So it is worth the $300-$400 to the attorney to avoid a record on your license which will cause insurance premiums to go way up for the next 3-5 years (in other words you will save in insurance rates paying for an attorney now to reduce this).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.