Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My son was issued a ticket in PA but the officer mistakenly…

Customer Question
My son was issued...

My son was issued a ticket in PA but the officer mistakenly issued the ticket under my husbands driver lic number and name dob etc.. my son went to courthouse to attempt to get it the ticket dismissed because it technically was an error and not him. he told this information to the judge ( not in court ) the judge did not dismiss and said he had to still pay the ticket in order to for him get a court date. long story short we actually got another ticket in the mail which was "altered" with a different driver license number and different DOB. the judge obviously shared my son's confidential information with the officer and the officer attempted to change information from the original ticket to cover the error he made but the 2nd ticket was still under my husband name. We still have the original ticket. What can we say in court in our defense to address the altering of the ticket? it is definitely illegal to do such a thing. I hope this is not confusing but I was trying to simplify the situation a little.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

My husband will because the ticket is actually in his name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
The court date is tomorrow morning at 11:00 am eastern time so I wanted you to be aware of my time restraint so Im hoping to get some answers soon. thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The ticket must be dismissed. Altering of the ticket also makes the ticket void and it is also illegal. If the Court does not dismiss the ticket under the circumstances , you need to appeal the case. The information on the ticket must be correct. Otherwise, the ticket is void.

You should also file complaint against the Judge who disclosed the confidential information to the Police with Judicial Conduct Commission. Click here to file the complaint.

Goodluck with the case,

Are there any specific questions we can ask the policeman or judge in regard to altering the ticket that would help our case

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your follow-up questions because answering them would be considered giving you legal advice, which I am prohibited from giving by the terms of service.

If I have to file an appeal another Judge would be required to hear my case, is that correct? Would the case have to be held in the same town that the ticket was given? how soon can I file an appeal? How would I file an appeal?
Another thought I said the ticket was altered ( and it was) but what I noticed is that they changed the citation number to make it appear as it is a different or new citation. Bot***** *****ne is they are trying to cover their error. The new (altered ) citation has my husband name but my sons DOB and License number on it. The original ticket had my husbands name, drivers license number and DOB on that one. Are they allowed to create another ticket? What are your thought about this?

If I have to file an appeal another Judge would be required to hear my case, is that correct?

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

Would the case have to be held in the same town that the ticket was given?

Response 2: The case would be heard at the Courthouse designated to hear that kind of appeal. You need to contact the Clerk's office and ask where the appeal would be heard.

how soon can I file an appeal?

Response 3: As soon your son loses his case.

How would I file an appeal?

Response 4: There is a form in the Clerk's office to file Notice of Appeal AFTER the Judge has decided against your son.

Another thought I said the ticket was altered ( and it was) but what I noticed is that they changed the citation number to make it appear as it is a different or new citation. Bot***** *****ne is they are trying to cover their error. The new (altered ) citation has my husband name but my sons DOB and License number on it. The original ticket had my husbands name, drivers license number and DOB on that one. Are they allowed to create another ticket?

Response 5: No, they are not.

What are your thought about this?

Response 6: The altered ticket is not valid. The ticket must be dismissed. If not dismissed and the Court rules your against your son, then the case should be appealed.

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law