Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic ticket issued for speeding by the DoD

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
I was stopped here:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nacimiento-Fergusson+Rd,+Jolon,+CA+93928/35.9611498,-121.2865765/@35.9611098,-121.2888724,17z/data=%213m1%214b1%214m8%214m7%211m5%211m1%211s0x809295154710e8cf:0xabafb7aba5ca1d32%212m2%211d-121.2867803%212d35.9611238%211m0
and was given a ticket for speeding. I was on this route:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/865+Carlisle+Way,+Sunnyvale,+CA+94087,+USA/Jolon+Rd,+King+City,+CA+93930/Esalen+Institute,+Highway+1,+Big+Sur,+CA/@36.6537444,-122.1316753,9z/data=%213m1%214b1%214m20%214m19%211m5%211m1%211s0x808fb5e80289637d:0x3139a030eaea8bd6%212m2%211d-122.0154838%212d37.3491049%211m5%211m1%211s0x8092ee7e0293795b:0x3d4780dd36eaa8f4%212m2%211d-121.1741522%212d36.086233%211m5%211m1%211s0x808de8abd2449f37:0x992e1a29e5b6ea85%212m2%211d-121.6371894%212d36.1238325%213e0After some research, I found out that the ticket had been given by the DoD and that they wrote "Fort Hunger Liggett." Looking at the route, I see that the fort is north of the road. The map seems to show that the road is not part of the fort, but zooming in, I can see a tiny, tiny dark patch, so I guess that is where the cops hide... in general, the road is very windy, so it is really hard to speed, but... I got a "driving at 52 on a*****"
It seems the only way to fight this ticket is going to court (no TWD), is that so? Can I write to the court?
Will this ticket affect my driving record and hence cause my insurance premiums to go up like the usual traffic tickets?
Thank you!
9/17/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Michael Bradley
the only way to fight is going to court so you can plead not guilty and go to court. I see no advantage writing the court before the hearing. They will not respond to it. When you go to court the officer probably will offer you a deal that will reduce the fine and the speed. If you need to go to a hearing before the judge you can point out the terrain at that point. Looks like a frequently used speed trap so I am sure the judge is familiar with it.
Speed traps are illegal, but will that make the judge rule in my favor? Or not always?
My appearance is not required, so that is why I was asking whether it would affect my driving record like regular California tickets. The court is 1.5 hours away for me and I would need to miss work to go, so if I *only* lose $268, I may just pay it and forget about it. If this were at a local court, I would definitely try to fight it.
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago

I doubt the speed trap argument will work

it is the same as a regular California ticket

I agree the distance is an issue especially with losing work

Thanks. So again: will this affect my driving record as if it were issued by the the CA DMV? Do the two agencies share information?
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
they would share information
OK, so the advice would be to go to court? If so, since you say the speed trap argument wouldn't work, which one would?
I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3csqws/speeding_ticket_when_not_speeding/
(the cop said that if he paid, they wouldn't share the information).
Perhaps you missed my last response (from Sunday)...
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
I missed it. I am away from my computer but will respond as soon as I am able
OK, thanks. So far what I have is that:
- The road is part of Fort Hunter Liggett, so there is no ETS.
- I only found 1 person online who was given a ticket at the same place. The cop who stopped him told him that if he paid, it wouldn't be reported.
- I found about 4-5 people who were given speeding tickets on federal property. About have reported their insurances premiums going up.I've heard of people who request to have the trial somewhere else because it is far from where they live, can I do that? You can see the court info in the document I attached a week ago.What do you advise?
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

normally judges will not allow the case to moved away from the jurisdiction

you can contact the court to see if you can appear by phone since you are far away

you still want to talk to the officer before going before the judge

you cab try to contact the officer to see if you pay it will not be reported

I have never heard of that but could be possible