Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was in an accident while making a left turn. It seems the…

Customer Question
Hello,I was in an accident...
Hello,I was in an accident while making a left turn. It seems the laws in Arizona pretty much makes you 100% at fault. The driver that hit me had suspended license, and he ran the light since he was not in the intersection nor near it in time to safely pass through and of course I couldn't sit there either. By the time I made my left turn it was going from yellow to red and when I seen his car he was far enough behind the white lines that I assumed he was going to slow down and stop. Of course I got a citation for failure to yield left and this is my first accident ever. He said he was going 40mph but he hit me so far both airbags went off and it threw me to the other side of the road where I hit a 3rd car but barely. I do remember him turning left to avoid my car but he turned back around and hit me anyways.Insurance is saying 60% on me and 40% on him because the police report and the other drivers said it was a yellow and the cop never asked me for a statement. I went to the ER by ambulance as well for my pre-existing condition. They are suing of course after the money no doubt when they acted like nothing was wrong with them at all.The cop did tell me I could go online and take the Defensive Driving Course and it would all go away. Insurance says if I do that then I am admitting fault. I don't want this to go against me. They are trying to get security footage to show he ran the light but if they don't....My question is should I just take the course online to have it dismissed by the court and no points against me or should I fight this in court when I'm likely to lose since no lawyer wants to take my case for "lack of money" they would get for fee's etc. I really don't want them getting away with trying to going after my insurance just for the money and prove that he ran the light and caused this whole mess.What should I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/16/2017
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 11 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. It appears there are two issues here. The first, is the citation and you were issued and the second, a possible lawsuit if the other driver is suing you. You can defend the traffic citation and retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to do so. The cost for representation is normally reasonable and they will only handle the citation, if you want to fight it. Now, if you are sued by the other driver, your insurance policy will likely appoint counsel to represent you in the lawsuit. While taking the class and avoiding the points, may keep your rates down, you need to speak with your insurance company about this since an admission to this, could possible be an issue if you are sued. If you were not at fault and had the right of way and turned and the other driver ran the light, after it was red, you would have a defense. Since you were turning and needed to yield the right of way, there was a presumption you were at fault

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!