KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I just got a dwi in Texas but I have an Oklahoma drivers

Customer Question

I just got a dwi in Texas but I have an Oklahoma drivers license. What should I expect to happen? Is there any way to keep my license from getting suspended?
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The arrest was made I Texas but I am an Oklahoma resident.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is a first offense. Only thing on my record is a couple of speeding tickets.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If you are caught and arrested in teas on Drunk Driving charges it is a serious offense and should not be ignored, even ass a first offense. Texas penalties for a first offense DWI, even for an out of state resident, (with no aggravating factors) include:

• 3 to 180 days in jail
  • A fine of up to $2,000
  • A driver’s license suspension of 90 to 365 days.
  • Mandatory completion of DWI education program
  • Annual driver’s license surcharge for up to three years after your license suspension expires

Failure to appear in court on a DWI charge can result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest on an additional charge or the extension of the period of your driver’s license suspension. If Texas issues a bench warrant for your arrest, you can be arrested by local police the next time you are pulled over for a traffic violation in your home state.

Since Texas did not issue your driver’s license, it cannot suspend it. It can, however, suspend your right to drive in Texas, and it will probably do so.

Since your license is in Oklahoma, and they are part of the Interstate Compact, which is like a treaty among almost all of the states that provides, among other things, for notification among the states when a driver’s driving privileges are suspended in any state. Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma are all members of the Interstate Compact. This means that if you are from Oklahoma and your driving privileges are suspended in Texas, Texas will notify your home state and they will suspend your license in Oklahoma.

In any case, you will not be permitted to drive in Texas for the full period of your suspension, regardless of whether or not your home state driver’s license is reinstated.

At this point you need to contact a local Texas attorney to appear for you at the hearing.

I hope this clarifies and helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service with stars, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. I will not receive payment for assisting you today, unless you rate the question. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.
If you have any other questions please just ask