Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Cited for exceeding speed limit, 46 in 35 mph zone photo

Customer Question
enforcement, 12/17/16. Completed photo enforcement...
Cited for exceeding speed limit, 46 in 35 mph zone photo enforcement, 12/17/16. Completed photo enforcement safety class, 7/29/17 and scheduled for Multnomah court haering
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: in Oregon. Scheduled for Multnomah county court hearing,10/17/17 re dismissal of violation. Unfortunately, cited for failure to obey traffic signal in Beaverton 8/28/17. Does the latter charge affect my status in the initial violation?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes, 10/4 in Beaverton.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Let me take a look and I'll get right back with you.

Thank you for your patience. Generally, if you complete the safety class, it’ll prevent the speeding ticket from going onto your record as a violation, which could impact your driver safety record. However, if you were cited for failure to obey a traffic signal after the fact, then you will not be able to complete another safety class. The reason is because OR law requires that you not have any other violations for the past three years. So, although the speeding ticket may be dismissed, the failure to obey ticket will likely go on your record. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Counselor, Multnomah county website indicates that drivers obey all traffic laws within the 120 day diversion period. Does the second offense impact this?

Let me check for your specific county. It may contradict with state law. Do you have the link to the website that you're looking at?

Reference was to DMV.org which is not an official governmental site. And to a Marion county site. Unable to find an official Multnomah source.

Understood. Sometimes the local level stuff can be slightly different than state law. Give me a moment to review some docs and I'll get back with you with a more accurate picture.

Ok, I see that I am not able to find the information that I need to adequately answer your question. As a result, I am going to opt out of this question and let another attorney handle this for you. My apologies. PLEASE DO NOT RATE as it may cause your question to disappear if the moderators close the question. If you do not rate, it'll leave the question open for another expert to chiime in so you can get a 2nd opinion. Again, my apologies.

Legal eagle, haven't heard from your second expert colleague.
Traffic Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Here is the OR state-wide application that you probably filled out to take the safety class and apply for the diversion program. Please look at line items 6, 7 and 10. If you had a moving violation on 8/28/17, it appears that this will affect your ability to participate in the diversion program for the 12/17/16 violation.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Thank you Maverick. I didn't sign an application for the safety class, applied online, but I am sure the provisions you cited apply. The court refunded the fine in full, $160, 8/31.

Does this answer your question?

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney