Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

My car is registered and insured in the state of NJ. I have

Customer Question

My car is registered and insured in the state of NJ. I have tinted windows on my car and just received a ticket in New York City for having tinted windows that they say are to dark. is this ticket legal and can I fight it?.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My car is registered and insured in the state of NJ. I have tinted windows on my car and just received a ticket in New York City for having tinted windows that they say are to dark. is this ticket legal and can I fight it?.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just got the ticket today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

can you send a copy of the ticket?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can take a photo of the picture and email it to you if that's Okay

you can do that and attach to the thread using the paper clip icon

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here is a copy thank you

is the tint legal in NJ?

NY law on tint

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
    • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
  • This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
    • The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
  • Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
    • station wagon
    • sedan
    • hardtop
    • coupe
    • hatchback
    • convertible

A vehicle falls into one of these categories if it is labeled “Passenger Car” on the Federal ID label found on the left front door panel.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

Unfortunately, in NYC these matters are handled in a TVB and not in a court and there is no plea bargaining. It is not a defense if you take the tint off after the fact. The judge will find you guilty or not guilty and impose a fine. Who knows maybe the cop won't show up and then the tickets will get dismissed. If not I believe each ticket is about $75. If you had the tint removed there might be a chance that the judge would reduce the amount you have to pay. Remember though, the only windows that tint is regulated on is the windshield and front two windows.

it does not carry points and is a total money grab for NYC

they issue more tint violations then speeding and failure to yield combined.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
39:3-75. Safety glass
The term "safety glass" shall be construed as meaning glass so treated or combined with other materials as to reduce, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from exterior sources or by glass when the glass is cracked or broken. The term "safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning "safety glass" ; or other glazing materials, such as plastics, produced for the purpose of safety in glazing; or a combination of safety glass and other safety glazing material. The term "approved safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning safety glazing material of a type approved by the director. In the approving of safety glazing materials, the director is hereby given authority to make use of recognized standards to confine the use of certain types of safety glazing materials to a specific location in or on the vehicle, or to a certain purpose.No person shall drive any motor vehicle manufactured on or after July first, nineteen hundred and thirty-five and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with approved safety glazing material wherever glazing is used in doors, windows and windshields. The term "windshield" shall be construed to include wings, deflectors and side shields; also front corner lights adjoining windshields.Every section of safety glazing material shall be legibly and permanently marked with the manufacturers' distinctive designations, under which the safety glazing material was approved, so as to be visible when installed.No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with safety glazing material which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility or equipped with unduly fractured, discolored or deteriorated safety glazing material, and the director may revoke the registration of any such vehicle.Amended by L.1949, c. 258, p. 823, s. 1.In the last paragraph all it says is "material which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility or equipped with unduly fractured, discolored or deteriorated safety glazing material" the tinting on the windshield does non of this.

this is from 1935 that talks about using safety glass that all cars have used for the last 50 years

this one is not about tinting

the tinting statutes were passed much later

you can argue it but I do not think the court will buy the argument

you would have more luck getting a doctor to state that you needed the tint for a medical condition, not that that argument usually works either