Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

My insurance company sent me notice of large increase in

Customer Question
charges due to a crash...
My insurance company sent me notice of large increase in charges due to a crash. This crash on 12-20-2016 when I was traveling thru north Texas. When another vehicle hit and run. I did not get information from driver. I notified police and they completed a crash report and citation were given. I filled a claim with my insurance company. No repair were made. I need to get this crash from my record.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no court
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: North Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did receive a low speeding ticket in TN last year, I am taking a driving training course to remove that ticket.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Correction NO citations were given.
9/7/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. What specific questions did you have for me regarding this?

How do I go about to remove this crash from my records. After all this was a hit and run.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you are looking to get something removed from your driving record, you're going to need to get a change in the accident report from the police department that wrote the initial report. If your driving record does not reflect that you are not at fault, then there is no need to worry. Every police department and the DMV is required to report accidents regardless of fault. However, if it does report that you are at fault and it was a hit and run, then the police department can send an amendment to the DMV to have them reflect the change in your records. Accordingly, if you were given a citation and you believe it is inaccurate, then you should speak with that police department and explain your situation that you were hit and the other vehicle fled and thus you have no reason to be cited with anything and if they would please update the record. Keep in mind that they are not required to do so, but if you have compelling proof to the contrary of what they put, then you'll be in good shape.

My driving record does not show points. How do I find out how many points I have?

You can request a copy of your driving record from the DMV. Usually, it's like $5-$20, depending on your state, but it's relatively simple. There, you can find out how many infractions have added points. Sometimes, third party companies may do it for you as well, but you'd have to run a Google search for that. Did you have any other questions for me? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

I have received a copy of my driving record. I do not see points on my driving record. How do I get the information on how many points that I have?

If you don’t see any points on your record, then you don’t have any points on your record. The driving record is exactly where you would look for something like that because it is your entire driving history. If it’s clean, it’s clean.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer