Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

TO FIGUER OUT IF I CAN TAKE TRAFFIC SCHOOL FOR A NV TICKET

I'M TRYING TO FIGUER OUT IF I CAN TAKE TRAFFIC SCHOOL FOR A NV TICKET SO IT DOESNT END UP ON MY CALIFORNIA RECORD. IM A CA RESIDENT
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: THE TICKET IS FROM LAKE TOWNSHIP COURT HOUSE IN NEVADA. I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: NO I CAN PAY THE BAIL
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: IT IS A BASIC SPEEDING TICKET. NO EVIDENCE CITATION IS 104MPH IN A MARKED 80 MPH ZONE

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, traffic school cannot be used to remove points from an out-of-state ticket. In California, points can only be removed when the judge refers a person to traffic school, but a CA judge can't enter any orders on a NV ticket. There's no jurisdiction, and no mechanism for you to get in front of a CA judge. California will not remove a ticket based on a Nevada traffic school, because they haven't been vetted. I'm afraid you'll have to wait to do traffic school if you later receive another ticket (since a person can only go once every 18 months).

Also, to get traffic school, you have to go to court and talk to the judge. That is typically not a good idea when the ticket is for speeding over 100 mph, because you risk that they'll change the ticket to reckless driving, which is a serious offense. If the officer didn't check that an appearance is required, he honestly did you a favor. Going to court likely will not benefit you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope. Sounds like good advice. Pay it and be done with it. Good to know you would not advice having a lawyer go and try and talk the judge into lessening the ticket as he could increase the ticket to a worst violation. Did not know that was a possible outcome

Yeah, the ticket is just a notice that you need to appear in court. Once you're there, the judge can change it to anything that is supported by the evidence. In traffic court, the only times I saw it happening was when someone was driving 100 mph+ or going significantly over the speed limit, so disputing this ticket does put you at risk.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.