Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My lisence has been suspended since 2012 due to an accident…

Customer Question
My lisence has been...

My lisence has been suspended since 2012 due to an accident while I was on controlled pain prescriptions. I am having my physician fill out the forms and am presently o n10 mgs of methadone twice a day and 1 ambien at bedtime. will this prohibit my ability to get a lisence again

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have had two previous charges of driving under the influence of prescription pain pills over 10 years ago

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/6/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, continued use of these narcotics would indeed be grounds to continue to deny your license. You can request an administrative hearing and ask the doctor to testify as to how the dosages you are taking does not impair your ability to safely operate a vehicle and ask the administrative hearing officer to order the license be reinstated based on the medical testimony. However, this is going to be a difficult case and you will need a local attorney to represent you in the hearing and the fact you are still taking the narcotics which can impair you, would be very difficult to overcome to convince them that you can safely operate a vehicle. This would be heavily dependent upon the doctor's testimony to the administrative hearing officer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.