Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

My husband got a speeding ticket. He went to the first

hearing they said if he...
My husband got a speeding ticket. He went to the first hearing they said if he went to a one day traffic school they will reduce the speed to 19 mph over the speed limit. He is there now but they are asking him if he wants "insurance reduction" or "points reduction".... what's the difference? Thanks!
8/26/2017
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general.

Points reduction refers to his driving record. A certain number of points could cause him to lose the license, so it's always a great idea to reduce those points. Insurance reduction points refer to actually decreasing his insurance premium (usually by about 10%). Generally, defensive driving courses offer both of these options simultaneously. If one has to choose, points reduction would seem to be the option to go with in most cases.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Generally speaking, an insurance reduction is a discount, typically of about 10% for having completed a safe driving course. A point reduction removes points from your driving record for the offense for which you're attending the class. Since the accumulation of points causes your insurance rates to go up, removing the points can keep your insurance at your current rate.

SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney