Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I have a speeding ticket of 21 mph over the speed limit on a…

I have a speeding...

I have a speeding ticket of 21 mph over the speed limit on a two lane highway. My biggest concern is getting my points dropped or at least reduced. Should I go to court and plead no contest, or guilty or just take a safe driving traffic class? And can I take the class on line?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Not if I just want to pay the fine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so. Thank you.

8/17/2017
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I'd like to welcome you as a new member of the site. Please remember that the experts on site that assist you are not site employees and we are only paid for our help when you rate our service to you.

You do not want to plead no contest because that is actually a guilty plea and will result in all the points being added to your record. You would only want to plead no contest if you had been involved in an accident where your guilty plea could be used in a civil case against you.

If you just want to pay the file and get 3 points knocked off your record, then you an simply plead guilty to the charge, pay the fine and take the typical 12 hour safety course to get the 3 points removed from your record. Here is some more information on the process: http://www.witc.edu/continuing-education/point.htm

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

If I go to court and plead guilty, will they reduce any of my points? This is a 6 point violation. OR, is a 3 point reduction the best I will get by going to court?
My biggest concern is the reduction of points. Will I have to attend the 12 hour course weather I go to court or not?
what happens if you plead guilty? Obviously, I can't plead innocent as they used radar and I was driving over the speed limit.

When you go to court you will be asked whether you please guilty or not guilty. The judge will not discuss points with you. The points are automatic based on the charge you plead to.

If you want to reduce points, you will need to plead not guilty, ask for a trial and then try to negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser charge---such as 10 mph over the limit. That would reduce your points.

It will be a lot of work and may not be successful. The prosecutor may not be willing to lower the charge, and you may pay more court costs by asking for a trial.

The easy way is to just plead guilty, pay the fine, take the points and then go get 3 removed with the course.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you are already a member of the site. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply asking for me by name, Doug, in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney