Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Got a speeding ticket for 38 in a 25 zone this morning.

First ticket in years. My...
Got a speeding ticket for 38 in a 25 zone this morning. First ticket in years. My first inclination is to fight it and hope officer doesn't show up. Anyone have better suggestions or ideas.
8/16/2017
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. You do have a legal right to fight this. It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Any suggestions of how to find a good one - I also want to make sure this is worth my while and effort and cost. I know I could traffic school this and have it wiped as well. The code is VC223(7) in Alameda County Ca

You can contact a few in your county and speak with them over the phone and ask how they would handle this, in your case. Select the attorney who you feel most confident with, as the attorneys you speak with have likely handled hundred if not thousands of tickets, if this is what they advertise and do, constantly.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney