Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I just got a running through a stop sign ticket. The stop…

I just got a...

I just got a running through a stop sign ticket. The stop sign is new. I also took my seatbelt off before he got to door and got a driving without a seatbelt ticket. Clean license

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes One ticket is barely printed you can;t read it at all does that mean null and void?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it thanks

8/16/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, just because your copy of the citation is not able to be read or is hard to read, as long as the copy submitted to court is legible the citation is still valid. You need to go to court and plead not guilty and get a meeting with the prosecutor who will usually negotiate to dismiss one citation in exchange for you paying the other. Arguing the stop sign is new does not help much, because drivers are supposed to pay attention to all signs, but the prosecutor has discretion to reduce it to failure to obey signs, which is a no point violation or can dismiss that one and let you pay the seatbelt fine.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
thank you very much. Also the court day given, I will be out of the country what do i do?
What are the fines for both?

Thank you for your reply.

For a stop sign the fine is $100 plus court costs of about another $100, plus 3 points on your license.

For a seat belt violation, the fine is $50 plus court costs of about $75 and no points.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney