Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I live in NC and currently have 9 points on my DMV record. I…

I live in NC and...
I live in NC and currently have 9 points on my DMV record. I have one speeding ticket from 2014 that will fall off my record October 2017. Last year (2016) I received two separate speeding tickets both on I-74 for speeding above 55 MPH. Neither ticket was considered reckless driving and I pre-paid both fine. Then last October (2016) I received a letter from the DMV stating I was on probation until October 2017 (PROBATION: TWO CONVIC. OF SPEEDING OVER 55MPH IN 12 MONTHS). I was told that if I received another speeding violation I could face suspension.Today I received a speeding ticket within the timeframe of my probation. I was late taking my oldest child to practice and I am guilty.My court date isn't set until December 15, 2017 of this year. I do not know how to proceed.My husband travels frequently to work and we have three children with one on the way. I have to be able to take care of my children and my household. We have no family in the area.What should I do? Will my license automatically be suspended because I just got a copy of my record and the ticket from today isn't on there. Can I lawyer help me? Can I at least get a restricted license? Will my license be suspended a year?I am so angry at myself for pre-paying those fines and getting another ticket today.I would appreciate any guidance.
8/16/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you previously used your "Prayer for Judgment Continued" since you are in NC?
No I haven't done anything other than pre-pay my fines online. I've never gone to court with for a speeding ticket.
Thank you for your reply.
There is some good news in this. Under NC law you are entitled to use what is called a "prayer for judgment continued" or "prayer" for short. This is a procedure in NC where you can pay the fine and the prayer for judgment is entered and it is NOT reported to DMV and NO POINTS are assessed. You can use a PJC once every three years for insurance purposes and twice every 5 years for DMV purposes.
So, you need to go to court and plead not guilty and you need to ask the prosecutor for a PJC, since you have never used one and this citation will not be reported to DMV or your insurance and you would pay your fine and not face a suspension.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Okay. Should I hire an attorney to do this with me? I am due with my 4th child in a complicated pregnancy (all irrelevant I know) but I do not want to let this fall by the wayside etc. I need peace of mind that this can be taken care of and I can still take care of my family.
Thank you for your reply.
YES, given your situation, you can and should use a local traffic court attorney to go to court with you on this and negotiate a PJC for you on this citation at the very least.
Thank you so much for your help. I will contact an attorney tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thank you.