Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

Does a charge 3802/1547B1 mean your going to jail. A

Customer Question

Does a charge 3802/1547B1 mean your going to jail
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: Yes a citation was issued for $604.49 and a summary court notice
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: PA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

This charge is a summary offense in Pennsylvania, which is considered something less than a crime. Crimes are misdemeanors and felonies. While jail is possible on a summary offense, if the officer felt you belonged in jail, you'd have been arrested rather than just given a citation.

As long as you make your court appearances, there's no reason for a judge to impose jail on you. This matter is typically handled with a fine. If you are able to afford a lawyer, have one with you on your court date. It's possible that he can negotiate something which will lower the fine and/or even keep this conviction off of your record. If not, plead not guilty on your first court date when you're arraigned on the charge and ask the court to appoint you a public defender.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.