Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I recently got a speeding ticket in Georgia. I live in

Customer Question
Hello, I recently got...

Hello, I recently got a speeding ticket in Georgia. I live in Florida and have already paid the ticket. Will this violation result in points being added to my license?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My home state is Florida. I got the citation in Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes, if the violation is an offense that earns points in Florida. For example, if you get a speeding ticket for going 14 miles above the speed limit outside Florida, you will earn 3 points on your Florida record. It does not matter how many points the other states would assess against their drivers-Florida treats this as though the ticket was received in Florida.

Likely you get points here under Florida law for the Georgia ticket.

Reference

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqpoints.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer