Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was the first vehicle to plow through a huge fallen-tree…

Customer Question
I was the first...

I was the first vehicle to plow through a huge fallen-tree in the middle of the interstate at 55/60 MPH around 1:00/2:00 AM. Would State cover damages to my vehicle?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

State of MS. Over 15 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Exchanged vehicle info with the state trooper, only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would like to handle it myself w/o my insurance.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
8/4/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Sierra900, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Sierra900
Sierra900, Attorney

I will try and help, but I need more information. So, to be clear, a tree fell on the road and you hit it? Who did you exchange insurance information with?

Please let me know.

DCG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tree had already fallen on the road when I hit it.
- Filed a report with the State Trooper.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe I made it clear that the information was exchanged with the state trooper before $47.00 was charged.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a sucker borne every minute...

Ok. Sorry for the delay. I am not sure who you are referencing when you say you would like to handle it yourself without insurance. The short answer is that unless another motorist was involved, there is likely no one else you can go after. Certainly not the state. The state is not responsible for damages to your vehicle and there is no way to recover from them/it. Sometimes trees fall across the road. If anything, the last chance to avoid the accident lasted with you and lies in your requirement to proceed at a safe speed so that you can anticipate and avoid road hazards.

You will not be able to recover your damages from the state.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for. Please don't shoot the messenger.

I hope it helps.

Best of luck to you.

DCG