Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have Texas driver license. I have received a notice from…

Customer Question
I have Texas driver license...
I have Texas driver license. I have received a notice from NM DMV for suspending the NM driver license for one year and asking to surrender NM driver license and or privileges. I do not have NM driver license. I did got two speeding tickets in NM while driving with Texas license.
What I need to do now? Can I still drive in NM with Texas license?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I moved from NM to TX in 2007. Then I never renewed NM license. I am only using Texas license only. Even I got two speeding tickets in NM while I was driving on Texas license.
7/31/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Did you pay the tickets here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already paid tickets

You got problems here, they are likely to suspend your Texas license.

An offense committed out-of-state may impact an individual’s driver eligibility status in Texas.

Any individual who has a suspended driving status in another state or jurisdiction is not eligible for a Texas driver license. If a Texas driver license is issued and the individual’s driver eligibility status changes in another state or jurisdiction, then the Texas driver license is subject to cancellation.

Driver License Reinstatement Requirements
If an individual has a suspended driving status in another state or jurisdiction, then the individual must:

1. Obtain a “clear” or “eligible” status from that state's driver licensing agency to prevent the cancellation of the Texas driver license (documents submitted by an out-of-state court will not be accepted), and
  2. Email us using our secure website or call us at(###) ###-####

So you are going to have to resolve this with NM as they will get Texas to suspend your license.

Fees for Suspended Licenses in NM. In order to reinstate your suspended New Mexico license, you will face reinstatement fees; these fees are separate from any criminal monetary penalties associated with your offense. For more information about your fee, contact the MVD at(###) ###-####

Reinstate Your Suspended New Mexico Drivers License | DMV.org

NM Suspension Hearings And Appeals

You may be able to request an administrative hearing to appeal your driver's license suspension. The MVD indicates that you can request hearings for:

• License revocation for violation of implied consent.
  • License suspension for failure to pay your child support payments.
  • Other disputes related to the MVD.

To request a hearing, you must complete a Request for Hearing (Form MVD10792) and hand-deliver or mail it to:

New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
Driver Services Bureau***** Francis Drive, Room 2092
P.O. Box 1028
Santa Fe, NM 87504

Thanks again for the chance to help and for rating 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am at work at a hospital in NM as a physician until Aug 11. I am in-house physician and live in hospital while on duties. So I am not driving my rental car at present. I am returning to my home in Houston TX on Aug 11 and I will be driving my rental car from Silver City NM to El Paso Airport TX which is 2 hours and*****that day.
If I contact NM DMV after Aug 11, is it OK or it is very late?
Driving from Silver City NM to El Paso Airport on Aug 11 with active Texas license could be any problem?

It is ok here, you have valid Texas license, expect Texas to suspend your Texas license soon when they catch up to it.

Mail in your appeal here to try and stop this, thats time limited.

You really need a lawyer to deal with this it affects your life and job..

Glenn Smith Valdez, New Mexico's Traffic Lawyer  

5.0236 Google reviews

Lawyer in the South Valley, New Mexico

Address: 1650 Camino Del Valle SW, Albuquerque, NM 87105

Hours:

Open today · 7AM–6:30PM

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Give them a call and see if they cannot appeal here and resolve this and save your license.