Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I would like to know if a charge for 'school bus stop arm…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know if a charge for 'school bus stop arm violation' can be expunged after completion of a stay of adjudication? I live in Minnesota, and that is what I am looking at. Also, this is a traffic violation, right? And therefore, it shows up on those things related to traffic like driving records? As soon as I sign the paperwork, this will show up on my driving history? After the dismissal, will it no longer show up on my driving history?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 day by:
7/30/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Bradley

you do not have traffic matters expunged.

I would hire the attorney who can fight to have the ticket dismissed or have it amended to another offense

it is traffic offense

it will show on your driving history

if it is dismissed it will show on your record but be listed as dismissed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it is a misdemeanor so doesn't it get treated as a crime? like I robbed someone or something? I have never had to deal with anything like this--one speeding ticket in decades of driving.
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

what section were charged with on the ticket?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was no ticket. There was only a police report made by a bus driver, and then the prosecutor offered a stay of adjudication with no court appearance.
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

A stay of adjudication means you entered a guilty plea, but the judge did NOT accept your guilty plea. So, if you follow your conditions for 6 months, the charge will be dismissed. If, however, you have a violation by committing a similar or the same offence, your guilty plea will be accepted at that time and you will be convicted. In other words, during the period you are on probation to the judge (6 months), you do not have a conviction - just a charge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where is that charge recorded? that is my question--there is no arrest record, there is a police report or complaint (not sure which), there is no trial, and as far as I know, no arraignment. there is just a piece of paper that I sign at my attorney's office. hence my question as to where this charge is recorded--as a traffic offense on my driving record or as a criminal offense creating a rap sheet that shows up on a background check eliminating my chances to be licensed as a banker, lawyer, judge, nurse, doctor, etc.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
because ultimately I would like to get the charge expunged which in the state of Minnesota means sealed. does this show up in the NCIC database?
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

it is recorded until you complete the program

it will be in the system until completion. Some record is going to be kept until it is completed

the prosecutor will keep a record until completion

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
then after the completion, what does the prosecutor do with it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does that dismissal show up on a driving record or a criminal record or both in addition to the NCIC? does it show up there too?
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

they dismiss the charge

if it appears on driving record it is marked as dismissed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it won't be a criminal record in the NCIC database, or create a criminal record like I robbed someone? I'm just floored by this--I'm sorry. I am so clean I squeak. so to be looking at a misdemeanor for a traffic offense that a police officer didn't see is very scary to me. I was stuck in an intersection when the stop arm was visible to me and I had to cross. there was no one in danger and I wasn't going fast...this was not a case of not caring. it was just the best choice of two bad ones...stopping in an intersection would have potentially caused an accident.
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

no it should not be in the NCIC

because of the situation that is why you are getting the deal from the prosecutor

the deal will leave you with no liability

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can still grow up and be anything I want? I mean I'm not in my twenties, but I still thought I had a lot of things I could contribute to the community
Traffic Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

yes

it will not affect that