Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I'm in Texas, and I turned right on a red light in a right…

Customer Question
I'm in Texas, and...

I'm in Texas, and I turned right on a red light in a right turn only lane with a yield sign without stopping, because there was no traffic coming, and there was a yield sign in the right only lane. I got a traffic cam ticket. Did I violate the law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just got a red light camera ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I've made that turn a lot of times in the 14 years I've lived in this area, and this is the first time I've gotten a ticket...there was a yield sign in a right turn only lane. I thought the yield sign was to alleviate traffic, and that if there was no on coming traffic, I could just yield at the red light.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
7/28/2017
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 8 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Goo afternoon. I am sorry to say but it would appear you did. I say this because when the light is red, you need to come to a complete stop before proceeding. The yield, would be to on coming traffic, not giving you the right of way and only proceedings, when it is safe to do so. In this case, even though there was no traffic, the light was red which requires you to come to a stop, before proceeding.

OK....guess I'm confused as to why there are two forms of stop to oncoming traffic. If the light is red, there is no need for a yield sign, and if it's green, there is no oncoming traffic, because the light it red for that oncoming traffic.
the street I was on was one way as well

It could be red and there could be traffic coming, which would require you to stop and yield to it. Then, you could proceed.

Even if it's a one way street? It was the outerroad off the highway

The sign is there and would need to be obeyed. The county is who you would need to speak with to address this, to determine if it is necessary based upon the one way street. They have determined a need to place the camera there, so you could contest this but would have to argue and show there was no violation but that is hard to do, when there is a sign posted.

Ely, Attorney