Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I had a lawsuit filed against me for a traffic accident in

Customer Question

i had a lawsuit filed against me for a traffic accident in 2001 and my drivers license was suspended bc i never was able to get it settled. it has not been reopened since 2001 i was told that it is now considered dormant and i can file a paper and have the court seal it sayin it has been dormant over seven years is this correct? this is for state of illinois
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: back in 2001
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: but not since
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told by Illinois that I can file the dormant judgement certification and sr22 insurance and pay reinstatement fee to get my license reinstated since judgement had not been reopened in over seven years since it was done
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me a little time to look something up and type my response. Thanks.

Your question: "i was told that it is now considered dormant and i can file a paper and have the court seal it sayin it has been dormant over seven years is this correct? "
Essentially the facts you have stated are correct. A judgment in Illinois is good for 7 years and can then be renewed for up to 27 years total. However, if the judgment has gone dormant then you can ask the court to vacate or remove the judgment from your record. Note however, that the court is not required to remove the judgment, only that it can remove the judgement. Even if the judgement is not removed from your record you can still apply to have your license reinstated through the Illinois Secretary of State. As you mentioned you need to get the SR22 insurance and normally it requires the payment of 3 years of insurance in advance.
I'm not aware of any forms online that are accurate to assist you in getting the judgment vacated or dismissed, although there may be some.

The Illinois Dormant Judgment Certification form is available from the Secretary of State website. I will try to attach it but sometimes the attachment doesn't work.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I will be back online tomorrow so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.