Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

The other day I was driving home from work. I'm coming up to

Customer Question
Hello.The other day I was...
Hello.The other day I was driving home from work. I'm coming up to this intersection that divides into two lanes; one right turn only and the other one being a left or keep going straight. I'm trying to get onto the right to turn so the vehicle in front of me starts creeping up after I put on my blinkers. As I'm passing he abruptly stops possibly due to the car in front of him and I mistakenly end up clipping him with my left mirror. We were going at a snail's pace, about 5mph or so as the light ahead was red the entire time. My mirror folds in and I end up putting the car into park immediately after. Guy pulls up quickly behind me and gets out of his car and starts snapping pictures of my license plate then comes to my passenger window. I roll the window down and I tell him to pull over to the side but he's just making hand gestures at me. I repeat it again and he leaves to get into his car. Mind you at this point he's behind me. The light turns green and I go to the right and pull into the CVS parking lot. As I look behind me the guy seemingly just drives off. I park my car and get out to see if anything had actually happened. There isn't any damage. I end up leaving the parking lot and just driving home.Today in the mail I get a mass amount of letters both from that town's municipal court and some attorney advertisements. I open the one from the court and it's a bunch of non-payable offenses:-Careless driving
-Following too close
-Failure to wear seatbelt
-Traffic on marked lanes
-Failure to possess insurance card
-Failure to posses drivers license registration
-Leaving scene of accidentThey also happened to get the color of the car incorrect but I don't think that is relevant.I'm honestly a bit bewildered at all of this. I've never really been in this situation and have a clean record. Have never even been pulled over for speeding or anything. I'm wondering how to proceed here as the court date scheduled is merely a week away. I'm already dreading the massive waste of time this will all be.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Correction: The intersection was a left only and a right/keep going straight. Just to make sure all the info is accurate.
7/14/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Thankfully, in your case you have a way out of this. In every criminal case, one of the issues that you have to deal with is whether the facts actually match up with what the government is alleging happen. In this case, it is probable that the other driver went home and called the police on you and because they could not find you, but the guy had pictures of your license plate that is what they're using to charge you with these crimes. So, one of the best things that you could do is use the fax that you just described to me in your defense. You can explain that you did not avoid this accident in that you did not commit any of these crimes. You can tell them exactly that you attempted to actually resolve this matter and speak with the other driver but because the other driver drove off you had no way of contacting them. Under the circumstances, you had no way to exchange any information with them and you had no way to find out where they lived or how to contact them at all.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

What I'm worried about is how this would even go down. This is technically my word against his, as there is no proof of anything. I'd hate to somehow get all this pinned on me by defending myself. Should I bother getting a lawyer at all? This is in New Jersey.

I understand why you would be worried about this. Keep in mind though that has the defended you do not have to provide any proof of your innocence. The other side has to provide proof of your guilt. In criminal cases, that threshold is pretty high in that it is beyond a reasonable doubt. So, they would have to prove that in spite of your recitation of the facts, you still did all of these things intentionally. I really highly doubt that they'll be able to prove it with any kind of success. In your case, I probably recommend getting an attorney to help you out. They will know the kinds of factual arguments to make to help yourself out

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the New Jersey LRS click here. Did you have any follow up questions for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer