Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a red light traffic ticket in Los Angeles county

driving someone else's car. She...
I got a red light traffic ticket in Los Angeles county driving someone else's car. She received the ticket first, informed the courts that I drove, then I got the ticket. I have heard that red light camera tickets in LA can be ignored with no consequence as long as no contact is made with the court since it cannot be proven that I got the ticket. Does this still apply if I was "turned in"? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I can't ignore the ticket, how can I best challenge the ticket? The photo looks like my drivers license photo, but I do live in a house with 30 other girls (sorority house) who drive the owners car sometimes.
6/29/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I would say ignore it. The same goes for you as it would go for her. The whole point is that the court can't confirm who was driving. She said that it was you, so they send the ticket to you. But unless you say "yes, it was me" (which is an admission of a party and hence enforceable) then it's essentially the same issue and they can't confirm that it was you.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello,It had been awhile for answer (not your fault) so I was not online to see the response until now. I do have a follow up question, if I ignore the ticket, not acknowledging receipt of it in any way, will My drivers license, insurance, or criminal record be affected in any way for ignoring the ticket? What is the process for ignoring a red light camera ticket, and what are the consequences? Thank you.

No, it shouldn't. The courts have taken a policy not to report to the DMV, insurance companies, etc... The "process" is to ignore it. That's it. You don't have to do anything. The consequences are that if you're pulled over for a moving violation or asked about them, you should NEVER admit having received it. Simply say "huh?" or something like that. Say "I don't know what you're talking about" if asked about them, because it's admitting you received it that brings you into the jurisdiction of the court.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer