Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Happy Friday, My question today is in regards to a speeding…

Hello and Happy Friday,My question...
Hello and Happy Friday,My question today is in regards ***** ***** speeding ticket and a driving with a suspended license. I received a ticket last year for driving with expired tags and completely forgot about the ticket. The court date was during our vacation and when we got back it didn't even occur to me, because we took care of the tags right after we received the ticket. We no longer have the car in which the original ticket was given.
Short version, received a speeding ticket for 68 in a 55, officer then informed my license was revoked for not showing up for court the previous year for the expired tags. Seeing as we no longer have the car that the expired tags were on, will I be showing up to court for 3 offenses or 2 (speeding and revoked license)? In North Carolina we can ask for a prayer for judgement on one offense every 3 years, so I was going to ask for the revoked license to be dismissed(pay court cost) and get a lawyer for the speeding ticket and I imagine the expired tags will have a fine or be dropped seeing as we no longer have the car?Would that be the best route and least expensive route for a legal perspective?Thank you for your time,
Ken
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. I am happy to speak with you, but by no means are you required to accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Hello! i'm sorry for the delay. Let me opt out so another expert can help you out.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be further assisting you with your post.

Your Question:

Seeing as we no longer have the car that the expired tags were on, will I be showing up to court for 3 offenses

Response 1: Unfortunately, yes because even if you no longer have the car, the ticket is still in your name and you need to take care of it to clear your record.

or 2 (speeding and revoked license)?

Response 2: No, You need to show up for three offenses.

In North Carolina we can ask for a prayer for judgement on one offense every 3 years, so I was going to ask for the revoked license to be dismissed(pay court cost) and get a lawyer for the speeding ticket and I imagine the expired tags will have a fine or be dropped seeing as we no longer have the car?

Response 3: You have to present evidence that you did take care of the expired tags before relinquishing possession of the car in order for the ticket to be dropped.

Would that be the best route and least expensive route for a legal perspective?

Response 4: "Ask for a prayer for judgement" on the revoked license; retain an Attorney to assist you with the speeding ticket; come to Court with evidence that you took care of the expired tags before you got rid of the car.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law