Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I received traffic tickets recently from DC dating from 2009

Customer Question

I received traffic tickets recently from DC dating from 2009 until present totaling 4000.00. Of course I don't remember the tickets do I attempted to find a way to begin payments but found out that was not an option. I wanted to do something before this becomes a credit issue. What do you suggest
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington DC
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Did you go to the department of motor vehicles to try to set up a payment plan? Generally, they would rather have some money then not at all. Also frequently you can't even get them to waive some of the late fees and penalties.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I call but they would not remove any penalties or reduce. They would not give me a payment plan. They said I would have to pay by the ticket
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I'd turned off my computer before your reply.

I'm surprised by your answer. Sometimes when you call, you get someone who doesn't know what can or can't be done, particularly if you have some of the money with you and are ready to pay the debt down somewhat on the spot.

If you can come up with $1,000, for example, it may be worth a trip over in person to speak to a supervisor over there. Tell them that you are too poor to come up with all that you owe in one shot but offer them the thousand in partial payment. Tell them that you're willing to pay the rest off with a payment plan and ask if they can assist you with that. I don't think they'll turn you away with a decent amount of cash in hand, even if they wouldn't do anything for you on the phone. If they say that you can pay it down, then you can ask if some of the late fees or penalties can be waived. The worst they can say is no.

If they take your money, make sure that you get a receipt and don't lose it.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.