How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Gonzalez Your Own Question
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 532
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Michael Gonzalez is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

18yrs ago I was in an auto accident in my brothers vehicle.

Customer Question

18yrs ago I was in an auto accident in my brothers vehicle. He did not have insurance, I had no vehicle so no auto insurance on my end. A judgement was place against me for $15,000. The company has revoked my drivers license and will not reinstate until I have 50% down. My question is what is the statute of limitations for this, if any.
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not understanding.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
If you have a judgment or even a default judgment entered against you the creditor can try and collect on this judgment for at least five (5) years. The five years starts running from the when the Clerk of the Court enters in the judgment.
If you have a judgment against you that is older than five (5) years, you need to determine if the judgment is still valid. Judgment creditors are required to renew the judgment after five years and do so by filing an affidavit with the court that issued the judgment against you.
Monetary judgments also expire if not renewed every five (5) years. Crye v. Edwards, 178 Ariz. 327, 873 P.2d 665 (Div. 1 1993). According to A.R.S. § 12-1611, a judgment may be renewed by instituting an action on it. Further, a judgment may also be renewed for an additional five years by filing an affidavit for renewal which complies with the requirements of A.R.S § 12-1612. An affidavit of renewal of a judgment, if required, must be filed within ninety (90) days before, and not after, expiration of the judgment or a prior renewal. Mobile Discount Corporation v. Hargus, 156 Ariz. 559, 753 P.2d 1215 (Div. 2 1988).Therefore, if your judgment creditor followed all the necessary steps, then it is possible that the judgment can still be valid all these years later.
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 3 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.

Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 3 months ago.


Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? I am not an employee of the site and am only paid when you rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. Please let me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.