Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

If someone is hit in a parking lot but the car that hit them

Customer Question

If someone is hit in a parking lot but the car that hit them had an inspection that was out since 4/16 is the person going across the parking lot still at fault or will the car that was being driven illegally be at fault, because the man said his brakes were bad and he was driving with a handicap placard hanging up and no one in the car was handicapped, so technically if he wasn't driving the illegal car the accident wouldn't have happened?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: texas the car that was hit was a 2017 nissan murano and the the car that hit it was an old chevy impala which didn't get a dent but the nissan was tboned more to the back door than front
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: police report
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just if you are driving across parking lot and a car driving illegally hits you is it still your fault
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I think I can see what your question is about this issue. The fact that the vehicle is being driven illegally will not eliminate fault. Even if it was driven by someone who stole the car and ran into the other car, that person would still be at fault. Does that help you? Did you have any follow up questions?

Goodness I am so sorry, I have to turn away from my computer momentarily, but I will be back soon to review and respond to you!