BusinessResourceLaw
BusinessResourceLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Law at The Business Resource Law Office
98670757

HOW TO FIGHT A SCHOOL ZONE CAMERA'S TRAFFIC TICKETS IN PARMA

Customer Question

HOW TO FIGHT A SCHOOL ZONE CAMERA'S TRAFFIC TICKETS IN PARMA OHIO?.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: OHIO.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  BusinessResourceLaw replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you.

Senate Bill 342, which addresses the use of traffic cameras in Ohio, became effective in March 2015. The bill established certain requirements and procedures. So if you were to attempt to oppose a ticket I would recommend establishing that the requirements and/or procedures were not followed in your case. These include the following:

1. SB 342 requires that a law enforcement officer be present at all times at the location of the traffic camera in question. If you can establish that there was no officer present then you might be able to invalidate the ticket. The bill also requires certain signage to be in place for all traffic cameras, so if there was no signage regarding the presence of a camera then you can use that also to invalidate the ticket.

2. SB 342 establishes certain procedural requirements for installing a traffic camera and issuing tickets. They must conduct safety studies at the location being considered, conduct a public information campaign and publish notices regarding the locations of the cameras and the dates they will become operational. So if you can establish that these procedural steps had not been followed you may be able to invalidate your ticket.

So, bot***** *****ne, if you can demonstrate that the requirements were not met and/or procedures not followed with respect to the camera in your situation you may be able to invalidate your ticket. But, of course, you need to consider whether it's worth your time and resources to fight the ticket, because you will need to prepare your case (either with or without attorney assistance) and be available to attend an administrative hearing(s).

I hope this was helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions regarding the above. If you don't require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. I wish you the best if you decide to pursue this! Cheryl